Ah, new pups. Furry little balls of mischief and ceaseless energy. One moment they’re innocently snoozing, melting your heart with their fluffy adorableness. The next, they are going ninja assassin on your favorite scarf, reducing it to so much designer confetti.
As a veterinary technician, I have witnessed countless precocious pooches get their little butts in some BIG trouble around their homes. Many people don’t realize just how many potential hazards await a dog in each room of the house. Unlike humans, dogs experience the world through their noses and mouths. Innocent exploration can lead to them ingesting a potentially dangerous object or substance. So, when it comes time to introduce your new bundle of fur, try taking a look at your home through your pup’s eyes.
The Living Room:
When humans congregate, we tend to leave little bits of ourselves behind. Pocket change, gum, clothing and electronic devices left on a low table or between couch cushions can seem irresistible to a pooch trying to figure out his new digs. Any of the above items can cause a life threatening intestinal blockage.
Sugar free gum contains Xylitol, a chemical toxic to dogs if ingested in large enough doses. Dogs are attracted by the sweet smell. It’s best to always keep your purse or backpack out of reach if you carry mints or gum.
A few coins may pass through a nosy pooch with little trouble, but enough change could lead to zinc poisoning which is potentially fatal. Make sure every family member knows to pick up their human debris when the new pup is on the prowl.
Read the rest at: http://barkpost.com