CC BY 2.0 Ivan Bandura
From ribs and onions to chips and corn, these barbecue-friendly foods can be cruel to dogs and cats.
Summer is in full swing. We’ve got long days, vacations, parents and kids with less structure to their schedules. We’ve got barbecues! Because what’s summer without outdoor cooking and eating? But while grilling and eating outside brings on a wonderfully casual air to dining, it’s good to remember not to be casual about what food you’re leaving around for your pet to get into. Barbecue foods can provide your pet with a host of troubles.
1. Ribs and other bones
Of course you want to throw the dog a bone – seems natural to me. But as it turns out, according to PetMD, bones can be very dangerous for pets. “They might choke on them, or suffer a grave injury if the bone should splinter and become lodged in, or even puncture the digestive tract.” Yikes. But dogs will likely try and sneak a bone at all costs, so have a covered, dog-proof receptacle nearby to stow the bones once you’re done.
2. Chicken wings
The Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP) warned pet owners against feeding their dogs or cats chicken on the bone due to the bones’ risk of splintering and causing intestinal obstruction or worse.
3. Hot dogs
Just like for humans, gorging on hot dogs is unhealthy for dogs … but not fatal in the short term. Dogs aren’t generally used to that amount of preservatives and salt; and franks can cause diarrhea and digestive problems (and obesity) for some pups. Also, if you feel compelled to feed your dog a dog, cut it up, advises PetMD, and feed it to them in bite-size pieces. Not sure if this is for portion control or to reduce the risk of choking, but sounds pretty sage either way.
4. Corn on the cob
Not toxic because of it’s chemical composition, but for mechanical reasons: its shape alone can cause choking and obstruction.
Big plate of sliced onions awaiting burgers? Keep them away from the dogs. All close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, and the like) contain compounds that can harm your pooch’s red blood cells if sufficiently ingested, according to the ASPCA. They would have to consume a lot for it to be a problem, but no need to take the risk. Damage does not generally become apparent for three to five days after a dog ingests the items; symptoms may include: weakness; reluctance to move; easy fatigue; and darkly-colored urine. See a vet immediately.
Read the rest at: http://www.treehugger.com